Because pit bulls are particularly vulnerable to abuse, we are 100% committed to making sure our dogs are placed only in loving homes. As a result, we are rigorous in our adoption policies. Please do not be offended by our strict rules and detailed questions-we are simply trying to do right by the animals in our care.
All applicants are fully screened. Requirements include:
- A home check – one of our representatives will visit your home. The representative will review information regarding your previous pets, obedience and crate training, and indoor/outdoor safety.
- An introduction between your current dog (if you have one) and your provisional adoptee.
- A vet check – we will call your current vet to confirm care provided to previous/current dogs.
- A reference check – we will follow up with phone calls to your personal references.
- All Midwest Rescue dogs are spayed or neutered, up to date on shots and micro- chipped.
- We do not allow same-sex adoptions.
- Puppies under 8 months old must go to a home where someone will be home all day, or will be gone no more than 2 or 3 hours a day.
- We prefer not to ship dogs under 9 months of age.
- We prefer not to ship puppies out of state, but will consider this on a case-by-case basis.
- Applicants must be 23 years of age.
- We will not place any dog in states, cities, or towns with Breed Specific Legislation.
- You must be willing to provide formal training for your dog, either through us or through a certified trainer. You must agree to provide written proof of training within 90 days of your dog’s adoption.
The adoption fee helps cover the cost of spaying/neutering, shots, and micro-chips. It also shows us you’re serious about owning a dog.
- Puppies (6 months and under) – $200
- Adult Dogs – $150
Two-Week Trial Period
All adoptions are subject to a two-week provisional care period. For this period, we will provide food, vitamins, a leash, collar, any necessary veterinary care, and, if absolutely necessary, a crate. You provide the love and care. At the end of the two-week period, you return the supplies (but if all goes well, you’ll be keeping your new best friend!).
Our goal is to place the right dog in the right “forever” home. We will always take a dog back if it does not work out for any reason.